Life is like a recipe. You've got the fun and yummy ingredients but you've also got the necessary gross ingredients that don't
become something great until all mixed in. Life is the same. You've got your good days and then you've got your trials. Taking
trials by themselves, they're terrible and bitter. But when all mixed into life, you see the blessings and wonderful joys they bring.
Like flour and baking powder, you have your necessary evils. Butter is like the grease of working. Sugar is like the good days,
they make everything sweet. But when all of these are mixed together, you come out with something wonderful... hopefully. When
you mix the elements of life, you also come out with something very... Extraordinary.
Welcome to the recipe of our lives.

Monday, October 15, 2012

Pre-wedding Madness and Miracles

So... today was totally not meant to be blog day. It was supposed to be grocery shop and other stuff day, but... at one point in time over the last week I left a teeny little light on in my car and the battery is flat out DEAD. I am stranded in a new place without anybody I know, so we will just wait for the hubby to come home and save the day! And seeing as I didn't plan on doing homework today, homework isn't my go to right now either and it's about time I catch up on the blog!

When you get engaged, I swear everybody will tell you that the craziness and stress comes in the week before your wedding. And when they ask if you're stressed before then, you'll get the dreaded "just wait until the week before." I regret to inform those of you still yet to tie your not, they are correct. However, with the all the bad things that snuck up, the day was absolutely perfect, and it was amazing to watch all of the miracles unfold. But, for the sake of wanting to remember all that happened, all of the stories will be documented here:)

The first story was on September 10, (ok ok I know it wasn't the week before, but it was pretty close and adds some fun craziness later on), the day of my bridals. I had been  looking forward to this day for probably.....well... since I knew what a wedding was. It was supposed to be a few days before but my sister in law wouldn't be in town to do my hair. So we pushed it back... to the only day it rained the whole month (well for the part of the month I was there.) And it didn't just sprinkle. It POURED. I wanted them in the cute little apple orchard in Provo and at the Provo castle and when we told the lady in charge, she gave us the funniest look and said "You're taking them today?" Lady, with bridals, you can't reschedule. You can't just sleep on your hair and pray your flowers will freeze the way they are, the show must go on. We had a cute little umbrella and my mom, sister, and photographer (who was amazing by the way) were such troopers and 2 hours of mud running, mad dashing, and a drenched and dirty dress later, we had some pretty great pictures.






As you can see, it was really wet, but so much fun and I loved how they turned out! I'm not totally sure how to tell the rest of the stories, but I think chronologically will be funniest and do them the most justice. Here we go!:)

The day before my bridals (which the morning of that day was busy, consisting of : picking up my dress, nails, buying makeup, picking up my bouquet, getting hair and makeup done: in a matter of a few hours), my car would kill itself everytime I put it in reverse. At first it was just on the hill in front of my parents house, but then it started to kill itself when I put it in park. Having an automatic, I had no idea what was happening or what to do. But of course, when the parents come out to check it, it's fine. A few days later, It started happening in reverse again, but on flat ground. In one instance, I was backing out of a parking stall, which was the only way I could get out, it looked like I was making a 50 point turn, ok maybe it was 25, but still unnecessary with tons of cars honking and getting mad. But when you can only back up 6 inches before your car kills the engine and you have to restart it, backing up is not a fast and easy process. Once I got it out, I was able to drive it and took it straight to the shop. The guy ran it on the scanner, realized a hose was loose, tightened the hose for free and I was good to go! Felt brand new after all of that craziness!

Then, and this is where it got fun, a few days later I was going to go to lunch with two of my cute sister in  laws. I was on the phone with Derek while I was on Bangerter Hwy and even though that stretch of road is usually pretty bouncy, I felt like I was sounding like someone does when they talk while someones smacks their back, really choppy and bouncy. I mentioned it to Derek that the road seemed to be more bouncy lately, and thought nothing more of it. I turned into his neighborhood and then it hit me that my car was bouncing a lot, shaking worse than when all of my motor mounts were bad and I told Derek that I thought maybe they were broken again. Suddenly my car began to shake madly and make a terrible grinding noise so I pulled it over to the side (in front of some lady's driveway, she was nice though) and right after I did, my car seemed to take a huge breath in (almost like a sigh) and lift up a little, and then let it out and my car felt like it sunk two feet and the engine completely died. Freaking out, and not knowing what happened when cars blew up, I screamed and ran all the way across the street thinking my car might blow up. After a few minutes of no such thing, I called my mom. She told me I'd have to drive it to the shop, there was no other way. We couldn't have it towed, I'd have to drive. "But mom, you don't get it. It's done. It doesn't drive. It doesn't even start. Nothing happens when I turn the key." You're still going to have to drive it. "But it doesn't drive. AT ALL." Haha after a few of those, she got it and we called the towing company and our favorite little repair shop. And miracles shot up everywhere. Tender mercies galore I tell ya. Heavenly Father truly does watch over you and knows exactly what you will need way before you need it and when you need it, it has already been prepared. The guy we know at the repair shop told us that all the next week he had been booked, but literally an hour before, all those people had called in and cancelled and he was completely open to work on my car. Who calls and cancels a repair that is needed to drive your car? Apparently all those people do. Coincidence? No way! Then, the towing company, also a friend of ours, gave us a deal on towing and we didn't pay a penny for it. Huge blessing. And then, worrying that it was my transmission and that I'd need a new one, Derek and I had no idea how we'd pay for it but were able to pull some strings and figured out the situation. I was supposed to go to Vegas that weekend, but we were considering not going to save some money and to help me not to be stressed, and it turned out to be a blessing that I wasn't able to go. I needed all that extra time to get stuff done. Later that night we found out it was just a rod that came loose which is rare but that it wasn't my transmission and it wouldn't cost a whole lot. Huge blessing! And my cute sister in law let me drive her jeep for the weekend to get everything done that I needed to!

Between my car disaster and finding out what it really was, I sat at home studying for my test that night. Still kind of freaking out and trying to focus and in walks my mom. Remember how wet and dirty my dress was on bridals? Towards the end of bridals we decided to not be so cautious about it and since my cute little sister works for a dry cleaners we'd just take it in and have it dry cleaned. Well my mom walks in that same day and here's the conversation:

Mom: Don't freak out
Me: What's happening with my car?!
Mom: It's not your car. Jackson (Bailey's boss at the cleaners) wants to know where we bought your dress.
Me: Why?
Mom: He's going to buy you a new one
Me: WHY?!
Mom: He forgot to read the tag and it says "do not dry clean" and now it's in pieces.
Me: But it took 4 weeks to get it in my size and then another month to build up the sleeves! We can't get a new dress! That's my dress!!!
Mom: I know, we'll figure it out
Me: We don't have time, my wedding is in a week!
Mom: (getting a text from Bailey) Bailey says Jackson is just kidding!! But they can't dry clean it so they're going to hand scrub it and fix it.

Cruel, cruel joke!:) so funny now, but so not funny at the time! They were awesome about my dress and it cleaned up really well! Another huge miracle, that dress was filthy!

Another funny, to end this incredibly long, probably the longest ever, post. My photographer said, on Monday, that she would edit our pictures that night and over night them so we'd have them asap in order to print our pictures off. Well Friday comes and they're still not there. I call my cute photographer and she said she'd send another. About a half an hour later mom comes running up the stairs begging me not to hate her and shows me that we've had the cd of pictures since Tuesday! She was in this "You can't open anything wedding gift wise until after the wedding" and since we invited people with the same last name as my photographer, she assumed the envelope was a gift! Ha!

And I think that's the end of the craziness, but it was amazing to watch how it all worked out and the blessings and miracles that unfolded. I felt so blessed and watched over and there's no greater feeling, especially when you're getting married. And... you've gotta keep life interesting:)

1 comment:

  1. oh my gosh! that dress joke sooo not funny! i was having an anxiety attack just reading it! hahaha but your pictures turned out great! :) love the umbrella touch so cute! new follower!
    Lexie
    mrmrsward.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete